Friday, July 6, 2012

Xenia.


"Above all things have fervent love for one another, for love will cover a multitude of sins.  Be hospitable to one another without grumbling. "   1 Peter 4:8-9

This is a cautionary tale...A modern day myth that the Greeks would applaud. 

It began at the bar.  An older, inebriated man approached our secluded table. We proceeded to discuss...well, I'm not sure what, (because of the alcohol? or the blinding curse of a Greek immortal in disguise?...you decide) regardless, our table was swept up in the perfect storm of sarcasm, feeding off of each others cleverness. I don't recall the topics, and I don't remember the words, but I know myself well enough to guarantee, they were probably funny, unkind, and completely unnecessary. The wayward stranger finally informed us that we were bringing bad karma upon ourselves, and left. It was an ugly moment. Though I do not believe I met Poseidon at the Alley Cantina, tragically, I did fail to recognize the God that is within this man.

To make matters even worse, I proceeded to spend the next two days consciously, actively, and happily participating in large quantities of unnecessary gossip and petty comparisons. It got so bad, I acknowledged my misbehavior before proceeding to do it anyway. It seems that everything I said, every conversation I engaged in, practically every thought I had, was hammering one more nail in my bad karma coffin.

Shit.

Now what? What can I do? Do I need to adopt a kid? Feed the poor? Pick up a hitchhiker? Is counteracting karma like losing weight? A land where weeks of work are lost in days of inactivity? I have this horrible suspicion that one good deed does NOT equal one bad one.

Though this is obviously a lifetime work in progress, I feel the need to immediately address the situation so as to negate this curse. I am thinking a ten day "fast".  Spend ten days actively, consciously, and happily looking for opportunity to walk away from slanderous exchanges.  Try not to concern myself with jealousy, comparisons, and competition.

Here goes, wish me luck, game on.

No comments:

Post a Comment