Monday, July 16, 2012

The Rules.


"According to the seed that’s sown,
So is the fruit you reap there from,
Doer of good will gather good,
Doer of evil, evil reaps,
Down is the seed and thou shalt taste
The fruit thereof."
The Samyutta Nikaya

My ten day karma cleanse is up, and it is time for reflection.  While I did have one experience that I thought related directly to this project, mostly, what I had were lots of interesting conversations about karma.

The very first day of the karma cleanse, I allowed a young gentleman with only one item to go in front of me at the grocery store.  I thought nothing of it until he offered his sincere thanks, then it occurred to me that I had earned a karma point! Ka-CHING! Wait. Is it possible that my prideful acknowledgement of the moment had tarnished the karma point? Oh MAN! What are the exact rules of karma? I mean, do I get the point? or not?

I find it is very interesting how widely believed karma is. A friend of mine was scolded by a very conservative parent for referencing karma in a Catholic school classroom, however, even the most devout Catholics firmly believe that you "reap what you sow".  Originally a part of the dogma of ancient Indian religions, popular culture has no problems accepting parts of karma as truth.  I say parts because many people do not buy into the reincarnation aspect of karma, even though this belief is essential to understanding the original Eastern ideas of karma. Hmm. Lots of different perspectives, this quest for rules is going to be more difficult than I had hoped.

So, what are some of my own beliefs about karma? Once I began to analyze, I realized how nebulous and self serving my concept of karma can be.  How many times have I been comforted by the thought that "what goes around comes around"? I have certainly thanked the laws of karma for coming to get someone who has wronged me, "even if I don't get to see it."  YIKES! There are parts of me that like karma, because I secretly want people to get what I think they deserve.  Brutal Sier.  I believe that thoughts have power, but wish I could deny the fact that my thoughts carry a karmic weight.  I REALLY have to answer for all of my thoughts?!? Ugh. Toe kick. Gulp.  (Maybe I should take a second look at that "adopt an orphan to kill bad karma" option). To make me look a little less selfish, let me remind you that karma has done some pretty ugly things to cultures and societies as well.  The rigid social class system and Untouchables of India are a direct result of the belief that you are reborn to the karmic life you deserve. Here, the laws of karma made it possible to look down on others, and deny them the free will necessary to change their situations. A karmic conundrum to be sure.

However complicated karma may be, I found that I love its logical cooperation between the ideas of free will and fate.  Most concepts of karma accept that it is a fluid, changing scale.  We can build up an arsenal of good (or bad) choices to affect our futures.  Whew!  I believe that the widespread acceptance of karma indicates that it is an inherent law of the universe, not tied to a religion.  The thought that karma waits around for the appropriate time and circumstances to bite or benefit, gives me a better relationship with "timing".  It allows me to think differently about what seems to have been missed opportunities, or impossible dreams of the future.  AND, it gives me a little time to build up that stack of good.  Karma can be a simple moral compass. It can encourage acceptance of difficulties and efforts to be a better person.

Perhaps there aren't rules. Just one rule. You get what you give.  The nuances and subtleties are too many to account for. Just do and think good things.  As for that contentious karma point, because he benefitted from my action, regardless of motivation, since it wasn't my original intention, and since I received a unanimous vote from all whom I conversated with, I am taking that point. Perhaps it will negate my less then generous opinion of the bitch with all the coupons ;)

2 comments:

  1. Hey I too am the bitch with all the coupons!!! Thank you for the insight

    ReplyDelete