Saturday, July 7, 2012






This is Emily Compton, a new guest contributer to "I'm Rambling."  Emily has been a friend of mine since the fourth grade.  Her unpublished works, such as the "Igor Gogel Giggleheimer Schmidt" series, are as yet, undiscovered classics. Stay tuned for more from this amazing author.











Not So Instant Karma 
by Emily Compton
Karma is a funny thing.  Its not something I am actively conscious of, but it is a concept I believe in.  Overall I consider myself a good person, I try to make thoughtful decisions and treat others with courtesy and respect.  So when I was issued a karmic challenge the other night, I failed, and it shocked and disappointed me.

In summation, an older man, dressed in goofy attire, approached me and my friends during a night of copious alcohol consumption.  I immediately warned him that we were not interested in inviting him into our conversation.  He stayed dispite my warning and was subjected to all manner of insults and degradation.  As he left, he cursed us with "Karma's gonna get you."

Great.  Just what I need. I already have a couple significant karmic blemishes from my past for which I have not yet recieved karmic retribution.  I haven't committed any crimes, but I do feel remorse for my past bad behavior . I also feel remorse for my ill treatment of this man.  Perhaps recognizing the bad behavior is a step towards negating the bad karma, which is why thus far, I have been able to keep karma at bay.

But at what point does karma catch up?  I've concluded that unless there is a cognizant effort to do right by others and myself, karma will eventually get me.  After much discussion with one of my fellow cursee's, a 10 day "karma cleanse" is in order.  I'm not going to go overboard by dramatically changing my life.  But I am going to actively try to be kind to others, and maintain a level of patience and peace.  I pledge not to gossip, or be judgemental of others. 

Let's see how it goes.  I almost immediately caught myself ridiculing an overweight man at a picnic table (in my mind), after the "karmic cleanse" was proposed.  I managed to justify the ridicule because I had not yet "formally committed" to the cleanse.  So this is it, my acceptance of the challenge to be a better person.  I hope the world is ready for the "kinder, gentler Emily"!  

No comments:

Post a Comment