Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Wonder-full.


This morning, my horoscope informed me that I should "expect at least one more wonderful day, and one more wonderful evening too."  My mind flooded with images of my previous day. Six hours, in a giant room, listening to high school presentations, while trying to maintain a respectful environment of 300+ seventh through twelfth graders, who are psyched to be downtown, and out of school. I groaned aloud. Knowing I did indeed have another "wonderful" day ahead of me.
Unfortunately, this honest thought was immediately followed by condemning myself for thinking it. "Nice positive attitude" I said to myself.  "Self-fulfilling prophecy anyone?" Somehow, at that moment, having a positive attitude, and admitting that life is hard could not co-exist. 
I could feel my mind grab hold of this idea. This... wonderful.
What did this wonderful day look like? How is everything, when everything is as it should be?
Is it a good hair day? A day where all the traffic lights are green? A day when you or loved ones receive excellent news? A day where everyone we encounter is helpful and happy? Does wonderful equal happy? 
Happiness couldn't really mean that you never feel discomfort. Very few people will be able to reach that point of never suffering... from their suffering.
and OH, we are promised suffering. Days where we battle the uncomfortable, and the scary.

So I found my exercise in awareness for the day. Looked at in a slightly different way, every day IS indeed wonder full
There is never a day without some marvel, astonishment, bewilderment, awe, or question.
Did this focus give me a pain free day? Absolutely not. Was it worth it? Most definitely.

Top 10 Findings of Wonder:

10. Music is one of the most amazing human experiences.
9. Lilacs smell like heaven.
8. A really tall kid presenting with a really short kid is an enjoyable juxtaposition for my eyes.
7. Neuro connections are made in our brains when we are a part of some one's life, and that connection lives forever, regardless of proximity, or future encounters. 
6. You stick your piece in a glory hole to heat it up.
5.  Hearing someone casually use the word glory hole in a legitimate presentation is funny, I don't care how old you are.
4. Glassblowing, bee keeping, blacksmithing, and body building are fascinating.
3.Amazing, generous people are in Santa Fe, making a difference.
2. I have perfected "the look".
1. A REAL wonderful day has downsides too and THAT is as it should be.
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment