Sunday, May 20, 2012

Off the Grid.


Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do.   We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”    
~Marianne Williamson

Dear John Facebook,

It's not you. It's me.

According to my timeline, you and I got together in October of 2008.  For nearly four years, you have seen all of my experiences.  I think it is time for me to see what I am now without you. 

What I will miss most is keeping in touch with people, expressing my creativity through photographs and words, gaining inspiration from others, and funny conversations. 

I will not miss the time spent wondering what I will post next to feed my ego, waiting around for responses, recalling failed re-connections. I will also not miss being annoyed by "too much information" (my own transgressions included)

Thank you for the good times and the bad, but most importantly, thank you for making  me braver in sharing my life and my thoughts.  If what I have gained from our relationship is the ability to "put myself out there", I can only hope that I will be able to bring that into other areas of my life.

I have a few final pleas however,
Sister, please e mail me pictures of my adorable nephew.
Uncle Charlie, let me know if you want me to e mail you pics of myself ;) haa
Elena and Stephie, please forward me links that you think I would appreciate, I love the stuff you guys put out there!
Friends, please continue to invite me to stuff, or text or email me funny stories, or pictures.

also. Sorry if I miss any one's birthday.

Like many addicts, I think I will go out with one final binge...make my cut-off date the same as the official start to my summer. Thankfully you have your handy/sneaky little "sign back in and get your page back" feature.
Walkabout willing, I will return in the fall, hopefully with better perspective.

As you can see, dear Facebook, this is not a reflection of the service you provide, only my use of you.

Love always,
Sierra

1 comment:

  1. Hey girl, I just got back on FB from being off for some time myself. I recently posted some pics from high school that I wanted to tag you in and found you were no longer there! I then saw your post on Emily today and Wah-la here you are! I think this is a great thing you are doing here. I am a Blogger virgin and you are the first blog I am following. I look forward to reading it!

    ReplyDelete