Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Appreciation.


"There's no word in the language I revere more than 'teacher.' My heart sings when a kid refers to me as his teacher, and it always has. I've honored myself and the entire family of man by becoming a teacher."
--Pat Conroy, Prince of Tides

It is National Teacher Appreciation Week. And I have a confession to make.
I started out my week... to be honest, relatively jaded.
This is a tough time of year for teachers. School politics are tense because contracts are coming out, or not. Kids are two steps out the door, but still have things to do. Teachers are, let's face it, running out of patience. It is to be expected with the cyclical nature of the school experience. This is the descent of our combined contributions for the year.
I don't know if that is why "National Teacher Appreciation Week" falls at this time of year but...
Regardless. Some schools are very forthcoming with their appreciation. (parents and adminsitration doing things like duties for teachers, bringing pastries, or cookies, or lunch. which is SO awesome!) Some schools do nothing. (which should be acceptable.)
Unfortunately, I began this week with a very deserving attitude and was upset that my school was in the category of acceptable. They were ignoring my service, not honoring what I have given! I even posted an appropriate, but sarcastic card on my facebook page about teaching.
You know, to honor myself, and my peers, even if the cruel world would not. (insert back of hand to forehead here...)

Then my friend Tanya (thank you God for sending me Tanya!) posted a quote. About protecting the beauty and fragility of a child's mind, and what a blessing it was to be given that responsibility.

I realized I needed to adjust my perspective drastically and immediately, and I needed to make a few amends. I was wrong. Parents don't owe me. The administration doesn't owe me. My students don't owe me. I am thankful to them.

I love my job.
I love to laugh, and I do it everyday.
I love having twenty piles of ongoing things to do on my desk.
I love hearing the voices of every walk of life. In one room. With a common purpose.
I love having to constantly problem solve.
I love introducing someone to something interesting.
I love making people smile.
I love my job.

The rest of my Teacher's Appreciation Week is dedicated to how much I appreciate the life I am given as a teacher...
annnnd how much I am looking forward to summer ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment