Sunday, February 12, 2012

Life is Short. Let's Love.



This is the Photo of the Year 2011 from the World Press Photo Contest. 

"Whether one believes in a religion or not, and whether one believes in rebirth or not, there isn't anyone who doesn't appreciate kindness and compassion" ~ Dalai Lama

Anyone who knows me, knows that I can't help but try to promote understanding and positive views of Muslims.  Blessed with the experience of teaching in a Muslim school, I have seen first hand the nature of the community.  Unfortunately, I was also witness to the despicable way that some of my fellow Americans treat that which they do not understand. Our fear, biased media, and general lack of knowledge about this particular group of people can lead to a dangerous perspective.
This picture is beautiful.  With the obvious parallel to the much beloved "Pieta", this picture invokes empathy.  I am drawn to it because it illustrates the simple fact that we are alike, not different. 
We all enjoy laughter, and children, and baby animals. We have all experienced loss and despair. We all seek understanding and acceptance. We all love and are loved.  Every. Last. Human.
The more I can remember that, the more compassion, interest, and light I can bring into the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment